Search This Blog

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Three Small Words

Time for another "Kelly gets all introspective and shit" type of post *insert party hat emoji*. I was distracted all day Friday for a number of reasons, not the least of which was my level of end-of-week exhaustion even after a morning caffeine boost. My distraction led me to thinking of what leads people to make decisions about life, love, career, and happiness. I came to the conclusion that generally, decisions are governed by three things: pride, comfort, and fear (I ended up writing three short poems inspired by each word, which I'll include at the end. Man, I miss writing).

I also made a decision that day. I decided to do my damnedest to never make any more decisions based on pride, comfort or fear. So here are my new governing principles, still based on those words, but on overcoming them rather submitting to them.

Pride

Admit when you are wrong. Understand others' points of view—do not listen to their points of view; seek reasons and ask questions. Maintain independence without cost to relationships. Apologize in four steps: 1) What you are sorry for, 2) Why it was wrong, 3) What you will do to make amends, 4) Why it will never happen again. Strive for compromise, and be prepared for sacrifice. Wait to respond. Argue without sarcasm.

Comfort

Pursue passion like a gladiator would pursue a lion. Attempt to know the unknown. Remember that money and security should not take precedence over love or your passions. Get up a little earlier. Be a little more vulnerable. Foster your sense of wonder. Cross the other arm on top. Cry. Feel. Freak out.

Fear

Start over. Say "I love you" too soon. Trust. Trust. Travel. Move away (or stay). Make new friends. Confront. Get undressed with the light on. Be honest. Go it alone. Say what you feel. Put yourself first. Put others first. Jump in the shower before the water's warm. Write a love song; play it and mean it.





Pride
"Don't back down,"
Urgent, hot breath in his ear,
"You're right."
Consumed with justifications,
Overcome with stubbornness,
He left.

Comfort
Wrapped in the warm blanket
Of morning coffee and rush hour,
She fell into a deep sleep.
Her passions lie dormant
As she rose from the dead
To begin another day.

Fear
Like a clock, his mind ticked between yes and no.
Desire
Stability
Passion
Familiarity
Racing pulse and sweaty palms
Dictated the final pendulum swing:
Stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment