Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

LOL Lingo

So....boyfriend has this obsession. League of Legends. Heard of it? He and his roomies nerd out hardcore over it. Sometimes when I'm over and we're hanging out he'll be like, "Babe...can I just go play one game really quick?" And I, girlfriend of the year, always say yes.

I wanted to learn about this phenomenon that gamers so lovingly call LOL, because last Summer I totally nerded out with bf about Magic the Gathering and I thought I might like this too.

WRONG.

It's so confusing and annoying because nobody wants you to talk. For seriously half an hour if you say something like, "Hey can you hand me a coke?"everyone else will be like, "DUDE. Shut up. I can't hear what Frank Todd is telling me to do!!" I like talking. I do. I could not handle this.

I was so sad. Because after becoming totally obsessed with MTG and buying a deck and making two of my own and getting everyone else I know into it, I was ready to add more nerd to myself. But alas, not this time.

But anyway, there are all these words and insider things that people use on these games. For instance, when Brazilian people (who apparently all love LOL) want to express laughter via keyboard, they type, "juejuejuejuejue." Awesome. I don't remember any other lingo from LOL because I was too confused...

I do, however, remember very distinctly boyfriend and his roommates speaking videogame when they played Super Smash Brothers Melee. Allow me to recreate their conversation:

"DUDE! You down-b'd when I side b'd and it made me fall off!!"
"Tagteam!"
"SHIT. Don't a when I b, dude, seriously."
"I was trying to push him off with my side b!"
"Dammit!!! I died again. Freakin side b."

I felt like an alien. Videogame is its own language. I don't even know what buttons do what. I win by the luck of happening to push the right random buttons.

Next time I guess I'll just have to remember to side b when someone down b's.






1 comment:

  1. I think your talking is connected to your heart. It's what keeps you alive. However, sometimes it's nice to just sit back and listen and observe!

    ReplyDelete